20th century Germany
Alternative Facts: Interpreting Works from the School of Art Collection: 22 May to 29 September 2017 at the School of Art Gallery, Aberystwyth University
The phrase ‘alternative facts’ is a recent addition to our vocabulary. It has come to prominence in a political climate in which views and actions are shaped more by emotions than by reliable intelligence. Reflecting this shift, Oxford Dictionaries declared ‘post-truth’ to be Word of the Year 2016. And yet, alternative facts are as old as language itself. Continue reading
German Photographers Erich Retzlaff & Hans Saebens in the School of Art Collection
AberForward: Charlotte’s last week at SoA
it’s my final week here at the School of Art and, oddly enough, it feels like I’m graduating all over again. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and a part of me wishes it could have lasted a bit longer; but as they say ‘all good things come to an end’ and it’s time for my next adventure. In my last blog entry I’ll be discussing what Georgina, Emily and I have been getting up to in our final week, which includes:
- Continuing the digitization of Erich Retzlaff’s negatives
- Our quick trip to the Vice Chancellor of Aberystwyth’s house
- My time working for the National Student Survey
- Our celebratory tea!
AberForward: Charlotte’s 2nd Week
I cannot believe it’s week two of my placement. It’s going very fast, but I’m enjoying every minute of it. So the main duties I’ve had for this week were:
- Filling out COSHH forms ready for the health and safety audit. (COSHH: Control of Substances Hazardous to Health)
- Assisting curator Neil Holland in receiving and setting up Earth, Salt and Fire: Pots by Micki Schloessingk.
- Photographing some of the works in the School of Art collection.
- Continuing the digitization of Erich Retzlaff’s negatives.
AberForward: Charlotte’s contemplations on her first week
It’s currently week two of my journey in the AberForward programme, so I’m aware I’m a little late with my blog entries – I’m sorry! But being here, back in the place I love and where I was at my happiest, some thoughts have arisen. Continue reading
Purchase Grant Award for Hans Saebens Photographs
New donation of 250 Erich Retzlaff prints
We are delighted to announce that Dr. Anna-Claudia Guimbous has kindly donated a collection of 250 vintage prints by her father, Erich Retzlaff, to the School of Art Gallery and Museum.